Use this form to request to use COVID-19 Supplemental Leave to reverse sick days related to COVID starting from October 1, 2021. Please refer to the FAQ for additional information regarding COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Leave.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What time period does this extension of Supplemental Paid Sick Leave (SPSL) cover?
This extension would cover from October 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022.
- What qualifies for COVID-19 SPSL?
- If you were required to quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19
- Experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and seeking a medical diagnosis, negative test or you received a positive test
- Attending an appointment to receive the COVID-19 vaccine
- Experiencing symptoms related to the COVID-19 vaccine
- Caring for a member of your family who was was subject to a quarantine related to COVID-19
- Caring for your child whose school or place of care had closed due to COVID-19
- If I used some or all of the allocated COVID-19 SPSL prior to Sept. 30, 2021, do I get additional days?
No, employees are entitled to the initial 10 days or the equivalent of up to 80 hours of this Supplemental Paid Sick Leave issued during the 2020-2021 school year. An additional ten days will not be issued for the 2021-2022 school year.
- If I took time off after Sept. 30, 2021 for a qualifying reason related to COVID-19, can I request COVID-19 SPSL retroactively?
Yes, please complete the COVID-19 SPSL Request form. This request will be verified and once approved sick leave balances will be updated by June 30, 2022. We appreciate your patience and understanding with this request.
- Will my request to utilize SPSL be automatically approved?
No, the Personnel Services department will work with the COVID-19 Response Team and/or your supervisor to verify if the leave was related to COVID-19 prior to approving the request.
- I work part-time or less than 8 hours per week. How many hours of COVID-19 SPSL do I qualify for?
It varies. Employees are entitled to COVID-19 SPSL based on the assigned FTE or the number of hours worked in the last 14 days, if different from your FTE.
- Do I need to enter my absences using the Frontline : Absence Management portal? If so, what absence reason do I use?
Yes, employees must follow the same procedures as outlined in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement for their bargaining unit in regards to taking time off.
Please use “Illness ” as the absence reason in Frontline Absence Management portal . Once your request form has been received and approved by Personnel Services, we will change the absence reason from Illness to COVID-19 (or equivalent). You may also indicate the following in the absence comments section: “COVID-19 SPSL request has been made”
- How much does the COVID-19 SPSL pay?
Employees are paid at their regular rate of pay however, an employee’s maximum pay cannot exceed $511 per day and $5,110 in total.
- What if I have accrued sick or vacation time available? Do I have to exhaust my sick or vacation time prior to qualifying for COVID-19 SPSL?
No. Employees are NOT required to use or exhaust other accrued leave( sick time or vacation time) prior to using this leave. Use of this leave does not count against an employee’s paid leave accrual balances, such as accrued vacation or sick time.